About LawtechUK and Tech Nation
LawtechUK is a government backed initiative powered by Tech Nation, which is supporting the transformation of the legal sector through technology, delivered through a collaboration with the LawtechUK Panel and the Ministry of Justice. We do this through impactful projects, products, research, communications and engagement.
Tech Nation is the growth platform for tech companies and leaders, fueling the growth of game-changing founders, leaders and scaling companies so they can positively transform societies and economies, by providing them with the coaching, content and community they need for their journey in designing the future.
Our company values:
- Deliver impact that lasts
- Collaborate to innovate
- Inform to inspire
- Be all in
About the role
If you are an experienced (8 plus years) communications professional interested in changing the face of the legal sector through technology, then this could be the role for you. It involves understanding the role of lawtech to drive better outcomes for society and the economy, engaging with challenges like raising the profile of a new sector and new brand, penetrating beyond echo chambers, working with diverse stakeholder groups, understanding what makes entrepreneurs, industry and investors tick, and challenging the status quo in law.
After a year establishing LawtechUK and delivering impact through our foundational work programme, we are looking to scale our impact through communications, and raise the profile of UK lawtech both domestically and internationally during this financial year. The role of LawtechUK Communications and Engagement Lead is to achieve this, by developing a communications and engagement strategy and leading on its delivery.
To be successful, you will need to be embedded in the LawtechUK work programme and wider stakeholder engagement, create and own a clear and coherent strategy and roadmap, built in collaboration with the team and relevant stakeholders, and develop and deliver communications that have impact and resonate with key audiences.
The role will report to the Head of LawtechUK, whilst working closely with and supporting the LawtechUK Director, and sit within Tech Nation’s wider Communications and Stakeholder Affairs Directorate (CSA). The CSA is a critical function within Tech Nation managing relationships between Tech Nation and its audiences including employees, media, governments, entrepreneurs, founders, investors, industry bodies and influencers across the tech industry globally.
The Lawtech UK Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Lead role will:
- Develop a communications and engagement strategy and campaign to 1) enhance and underpin the brand and reputation of LawtechUK 2) support LawtechUK programme and delivery objectives 3) enhance the reputation of the UK lawtech sector
- Manage LawtechUK’s communications and engagement activity and thought leadership, including producing communications and other materials in line with objectives, such as articles, opeds, press releases, internal and external stakeholder communications, social posts etc.
- Establish the infrastructure for effective communications with efficiency
- Manage LawtechUK digital communication channels, including social platforms and website, with the support of a digital marketing executive
- Coordinate and manage media and external engagements for LawtechUK, its spokespeople and subject matter experts
- Ensure activities are measured against agreed targets and reported to internal and external stakeholders
- Support Director and Head on network engagement
- Be supported by a marketing executive, project manager, events specialist, and wider team
A Day in the Life of the Communications + Stakeholder Engagement Lead might look something like this:
- Providing strategic counsel on how to achieve our communications and engagement objectives, based on understanding the landscape and priorities
- Working with colleagues, stakeholders and third parties to craft compelling communications content including press releases, case studies, thought pieces, social posts, statements, events, emails, presentations and exploring other mechanisms such as a podcast/regular hop in sessions
- Working with stakeholder press offices, PR and other agencies to deliver on communication and engagement strategies
- Monitor social media and manage and enhance LawtechUK social media accounts and website content
- Monitor the news and work with media and other stakeholders to look for opportunities to showcase our work and UK lawtech
- Work closely with external stakeholder communications teams including ecosystem partners, corporates and entrepreneurs
- Keeping the Head and rest of team up-to-date with progress and managing expectations proactively
- Managing the underlying infrastructure for communications to enable an effective programme
- Showcase activities and coverage across the business and to our stakeholders
As well as sharing our ambitions and values you will have:
- Strong experience (preferably over 8 years) working in-house or in agency doing business / technology / legal / government communications
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Proven track record of success and results in complex, fast-moving environments
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the role of technology and innovation in changing and shaping our society and economy, in particular the legal landscape, and wider UK/global tech policy
- Knowledge of and relationships with tech, government and relevant influencers and journalists
- Great team player, used to maximising available resources and making things happen in a collaborative, perhaps unexpected way
- Entrepreneurial, energetic and problem solver - able to think laterally to achieve objectives
- Enjoy building a network and maximising relationships
- Ability artfully to navigate, collaborate and deliver in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Be committed to quality, with the will to drive improvements
- Have a proven ability to work well under pressure with a high degree of flexibility and fluidity
What’s in it for you?
- An opportunity to change the face of the UK legal sector and expand your network, working with the LawtechUK team, the esteemed members of the LawtechUK Panel and all the entrepreneurs, industry players, academic and public bodies that contribute to LawtechUK’s work programme
- A combined 9 % pension contribution
- A flexible working environment, work from anywhere in the UK
- 16 health benefits via Untangl e.g. Gym Discount, Dental Health Scans
- Cycle to work scheme (up to £1,000)
- Travel season ticket loan (up to £5,000)
- Perkbox - choose your own perks!
- A personal learning budget through Learnerbly
- Access to mental health tools such as Spill, bi-weekly online exercise classes as well as meditation
- A shiny new macbook
Our inclusive workforce
Putting Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) at the core of everything we do is an intrinsic part of Tech Nation’s vision and values: Tech Nation is committed to contributing to a future in which anyone with vision and drive can access the skills and support needed to succeed as a game-changing leader.
Naturally, we want to ensure it is a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to work every day. We would be happy to accommodate any requests to support inclusion and accessibility during the application or interview process, please just let us know.